Re: SM and UW Wont' Play

On Wed, February 10, 2010 10:36 pm, Jerome Kaidor wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I've been a happy Squirrelmail user for a few years now.  It does
> everything I need, no fuss, no muss.
>
>    But my Linux server has been getting flaky, so I put together a new
> server with the latest Slackware 13.0 distribution.  It's been a few days
> getting everything working and the latest victim is Squirrelmail.
>
>    Squirrelmail V1.4.15 just came along for the ride when I transferred
> my web
> content.  But the IMAP server did not.
>
>    I compiled uw imap from source and set it up for CRAM-MD5
> authentication.
> I know the SM documentation says that you HAVE to use plaintext, but the
> conf.pl script has a CRAM-MD5 choice, so I figured that the plaintext
> requirement was Old News.

Why didn't you try Dovecot? I used to use UW IMAP and found it so slow
that if my users had more than 20-30 folders, UW would take forever. With
dovecot's builtin indexing, it is fast even for users with hundreds of
folders.

I know, that doesn't solve your problem, but at the outset, if you pick a
more capable IMAP server, I think you'll find the later problems easier
to tackle.

My 2 cents; worth what you just paid me for it :-)

HTH,

Karl

>    Yet, it doesn't work.  I type in my username and password at the SM
> login
> screen, and it immediately comes back:
>
>                    ERROR
>           You must be logged in to access this page.
>              Go to the login page
>
>    However, if I type in a bad password, it says:
>
>                     ERROR
>              Unknown user or password incorrect.
>                 Go to the login page
>

>    The imap does work OK with a mailer on a second PC ( Thunderbird under
> Windows ).  I can see the imapd being started by watching /var/log/debug,
> but then when I take a look with "ps ax | grep pid" it's not there
> anymore.
> So it seems to die right after it starts up.
>
>     Anybody have a hint or a clue, before I start diving into the uw
> imapd
> source?
>
>    Thanks in advance,
>
>                                  - Jerry Kaidor

> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---
 Prayer for Obama, et al: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ps/109/8#8 (~)
---