SM and UW Wont' Play

Hello,

    I've been a happy Squirrelmail user for a few years now.  It does
everything I need, no fuss, no muss.

   But my Linux server has been getting flaky, so I put together a new
server with the latest Slackware 13.0 distribution.  It's been a few days
getting everything working and the latest victim is Squirrelmail.

   Squirrelmail V1.4.15 just came along for the ride when I transferred my web
content.  But the IMAP server did not.

   I compiled uw imap from source and set it up for CRAM-MD5 authentication.
I know the SM documentation says that you HAVE to use plaintext, but the
conf.pl script has a CRAM-MD5 choice, so I figured that the plaintext
requirement was Old News.

   Yet, it doesn't work.  I type in my username and password at the SM login
screen, and it immediately comes back:

                   ERROR
          You must be logged in to access this page.
             Go to the login page

   However, if I type in a bad password, it says:

                    ERROR
             Unknown user or password incorrect.
                Go to the login page

   The imap does work OK with a mailer on a second PC ( Thunderbird under
Windows ).  I can see the imapd being started by watching /var/log/debug,
but then when I take a look with "ps ax | grep pid" it's not there anymore.
So it seems to die right after it starts up.

    Anybody have a hint or a clue, before I start diving into the uw imapd
source?

   Thanks in advance,

                                 - Jerry Kaidor