Re: SM and UW Wont' Play

Thank you so much, Tomas!

   Problem solved.  It was permissions.  All my web stuff belongs to user
"nobody", and I have configured apache to use that.  But the latest
distributions have gone to user "apache".

  I had to chown /var/lib/php from root.apache to root.nobody.  Poof!
Working Squirrelmail!

   WRT security - my Squirrelmail is buried in a directory that requires
https to use it.  And it talks to imap on the same machine via localhost.
So I could just go to plaintext authentication, since
the link is already encrypted anyway.  The only time it becomes an issue
is if I want to support external mailers on the Internet.
   I admit to some concern about having my password in a plaintext file in
/etc, but with chown 400, nobody can see it but root, and if an invader
gets root, I'm dead meat anyway.

   The Internet has become a nasty place - I pine for the days when it was
just universities and networking nerds.  People are constantly banging
on my linux box trying to get root.

   I wrote a Perl script that constantly watches for failed login
attempts.  It applies a leaky bucket algorithm to each IP with failed
attempts.  If enough failed attempts occur in a short enough time (
causing a bucket overflow ), it blacklists the offending IP for a day,
dropping all its packets on the floor at the earliest possible
opportunity.  At the present moment, there are 6 IPs blacklisted.

                         - Jerry Kaidor