Re: mail retrieval from server- migration error

>>> Apologies - I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times
>>> before but I can't seem to find it with my search skills.
>>>
>>> The problem: I'm trying to access email which (should have been)
>>> should be stored on the server.
>>>
>>> The backstory: One of my clients asked that their web site be moved
>>> to a new server because they were having constant problems with email.
>>> The server which I had been using (through a resellers account) uses
>>> Squirrel mail. To be fair the resellers had tried their best to solve
>>> the problems- but a sequence of unfortunate events created a very
>>> unhappy client- who laid down the law.
>>>
>>> I migrated to a new server, and talked the client through setting up
>>> a new POP. The client then deleted the old POP (this is a client who
>>> can't tolerate more than one inbox in view at a time). The client is
>>> on Mac. The old POP has disappeared from the library , the inbox, and
>>> the back up drive taking all the old sent and received email with it.
>>
>> The whole point with POP is to delete the mail from the server and only
>> keep a local copy in the mail client. Use IMAP if the mail is supposed
>> to be stored on the server. SquirrelMail only use IMAP, so apparently
>> the ISP (or resellers) have an IMAP server.
>>
>>> I went back to the resellers (I still have a large number of sites on
>>> their server- just not this one) asking if there was a way to
>>> retrieve the mail.
>>>
>>> I have received no answer from them on any question for over a week.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to retrieve the mail through the administrator/user
>>> ftp?
>>
>> What administrator/user FTP? I've no idea what you're asking about, and
>> there's no such thing in SquirrelMail as far as I know. My guess is
>> that the FTP is some service provided to you by the ISP.
>>
>> There is no way to retrieve lost mail through the SquirrelMail web
>> interface. You need access to the server to have at least a chance to do
>> that.
>
> I have server access, I guess what I need then is a way to find where the
> mail is being stored on the server and since I'm not getting any reply
> from the server host support that's a bit of a problem.

Find the IMAP server configuration which is likely to contain a path to
the storage.

> FTP "file transfer protocol" the way in which I access the server in
> order to upload new web pages.

I think you misunderstood me. I know what FTP is and how it works. What I
didn't understand was what it had to do with your mail server
installation. FTP access to web servers are quite common. It has nothing
to do with SquirrelMail though. I can't say it you can receive your mail
through FTP or not (but I guess "not"), since it depends on how the server
is set up. The server administrator should know.

This is kind of off-topic for this mailing list.

--
Fredrik Jervfors
The SquirrelMail Project