Re: mail retrieval from server- migration error

> Apologies - I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times before
> but I can't seem to find it with my search skills.
>
> The problem: I'm trying to access email which (should have been) should
> be stored on the server.
>
> The backstory: One of my clients asked that their web site be moved to a
> new server because they were having constant problems with email. The
> server which I had been using (through a resellers account) uses Squirrel
> mail. To be fair the resellers had tried their best to solve the problems-
> but a sequence of unfortunate events created a very unhappy client- who
> laid down the law.
>
> I migrated to a new server, and talked the client through setting up a
> new POP. The client then deleted the old POP (this is a client who can't
> tolerate more than one inbox in view at a time). The client is on Mac. The
>  old POP has disappeared from the library , the inbox, and the back up
> drive taking all the old sent and received email with it.

The whole point with POP is to delete the mail from the server and only
keep a local copy in the mail client. Use IMAP if the mail is supposed to
be stored on the server. SquirrelMail only use IMAP, so apparently the ISP
(or resellers) have an IMAP server.

> I went back to the resellers (I still have a large number of sites on
> their server- just not this one) asking if there was a way to retrieve the
> mail.
>
> I have received no answer from them on any question for over a week.
>
> Is there any way to retrieve the mail through the administrator/user ftp?

What administrator/user FTP? I've no idea what you're asking about, and
there's no such thing in SquirrelMail as far as I know. My guess is that
the FTP is some service provided to you by the ISP.

There is no way to retrieve lost mail through the SquirrelMail web
interface. You need access to the server to have at least a chance to do
that.

--
Fredrik Jervfors
The SquirrelMail Project