SquirrelMail instalation on FreeBSD

Hello,

I have found very useful description for installation squirrelmail (and
related web services) in
the webpages:
http://www.openaddict.com/quick_and_dirty_guide_to_deploying_a_freebsd_6_1_s
erver.html

I have followed closely the instructions although my system is a bit
different:
FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008
root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

and hence some minor differences appeared (eg dovecot.sh  --> dovecot ).

I added file /etc/pam.d/dovecot:
auth            required        pam_unix.so             nullok
account         required        pam_unix.so

The problem has appeared when I try login to squirrelmail:
https://server.x.pl/webmail/src/login.php

I entered login and password and for a little while I got:
ERROR
Unknown user or password incorrect.

and in /var/log/maillog:
dovecot: IMAP(igal): Disconnected: Logged out bytes=44/298
dovecot: auth-worker(default): pam...pam_sm_authenticate: UNIX
authentication refused
dovecot: auth-worker ...pam_authenticate() failed: authentication error
(password mismatch?) (given password: )

I tried imap-uw and the same problem has happened.

1. Is any pam for squirrelmail authentication?
2. What could be wrong with the above installation?
3. Possibly you could recommend up to date description for the SM
installation from the ports on FreeBSD.

I would be grateful for your help.
With regards.
Jacek