Re: SquirrelMail instalation on FreeBSD

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Jacek Igalson <j.igalson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have found very useful description for installation squirrelmail (and
> related web services) in
> the webpages:
> http://www.openaddict.com/quick_and_dirty_guide_to_deploying_a_freebsd_6_1_s
> erver.html
>
> I have followed closely the instructions although my system is a bit
> different:
> FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008
> root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> and hence some minor differences appeared (eg dovecot.sh  --> dovecot ).
>
> I added file /etc/pam.d/dovecot:
> auth            required        pam_unix.so             nullok
> account         required        pam_unix.so
>
> The problem has appeared when I try login to squirrelmail:
> https://server.x.pl/webmail/src/login.php
>
> I entered login and password and for a little while I got:
> ERROR
> Unknown user or password incorrect.
>
> and in /var/log/maillog:
> dovecot: IMAP(igal): Disconnected: Logged out bytes=44/298
> dovecot: auth-worker(default): pam...pam_sm_authenticate: UNIX
> authentication refused
> dovecot: auth-worker ...pam_authenticate() failed: authentication error
> (password mismatch?) (given password: )

Looks like no password was given.  What page does this happen on?  Is
it the first login or a subsequent one?  What's the address in the
address bar?  Do you have session support in PHP?  If so, what session
storage mechanism are you using?  Does your browser support cookies?
You need to specify your SquirrelMail version.  Also, show the output
of src/configtest.php

> I tried imap-uw and the same problem has happened.
>
> 1. Is any pam for squirrelmail authentication?
> 2. What could be wrong with the above installation?
> 3. Possibly you could recommend up to date description for the SM
> installation from the ports on FreeBSD.

Read our documentation.  Installation of SquirrelMail is not
particularly system-dependent for most things.  What authentication
mechanism you are using for your IMAP server is of no concern to
SquirrelMail.  *Have you tried logging in to your IMAP server from the
command line to verify you have it set up correctly?*

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team