Re: IMAP connection dropping during login and auto refresh

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 8:59 AM, kriswarner
<kriswarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a squirrelmail issue or imap server one, but thought
> someone might be able to help me out.  Often (but not always) when logging
> in, users will get an error saying "Connection to IMAP server dropped" and
> this also happens almost every time that the folders pane does an auto
> refresh.  When you do a browser refresh, everything will load correctly
> (sometimes you have to hit refresh twice).  It never (I think) happens when

Sounds to me like the IMAP server hitting some connection limits or
something similar.

> manually clicking on the link to refresh, or when clicking on one of the
> folders.  I've noticed a couple times that when replying to an email, none
> of the fields (including textarea) will be pre-populated.
>
> I'm using postfix, dovecot as imap server, and dbmail as storage.
> Squirrelmail version 1.4.15, and have the following plugins installed:
>
> //core plugins
> $plugins[0] = 'newmail';
> $plugins[1] = 'squirrelspell';
> $plugins[2] = 'delete_move_next';
> $plugins[3] = 'calendar';
>
> //additional plugins
> $plugins[6] = 'change_sqlpass';
> $plugins[7] = 'compatibility';
> $plugins[8] = 'compose_fix';
> $plugins[9] = 'email_footer';
> $plugins[10] = 'forum';
> $plugins[11] = 'html_mail';
> $plugins[12] = 'restrict_senders';
> $plugins[13] = 'sent_confirmation';
> $plugins[15] = 'smallcal';
> $plugins[16] = 'todo';
> $plugins[17] = 'quota_usage';
> $plugins[18] = 'unsafe_image_rules';
> $plugins[19] = 'variable_sent_folder';
> $plugins[20] = 'login_auto';
> $plugins[21] = 'bounce';
> $plugins[22] = 'bookmarks';
> $plugins[23] = 'spam_buttons';
> $plugins[25] = 'show_thumb';
> $plugins[26] = 'add_address';
>
> Also, thread sorting is disabled, but server sorting is enabled.
>
> The only error that I've seen in logs that seems to coincide to the times
> when this happens is from dbmail, if it means anything to anyone:
>
> Error:[lmtp] lmtp.c,lmtp_handle_connection(+205): client timed, connection
> closed

This is probably what you should follow up on.

> So, I'm thinking it's most likely a problem with dbmail's lmtp daemon, but
> also thinking that perhaps it's an issue with squirrelmail session
> expiration?

If the PHP session expired, the error messages would be different.