Re: upgrade to 1.4.18 gives "you must be logged in" error

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Chris Hoogendyk
<hoogendyk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>> version, etc.  I don't know if we can avoid this, but I'll look into
>> it.

>> Very odd.  So it might be that PHP is sending a cookie back, but it's
>> slightly different than the original... and Safari doesn't care, but
>> Firefox does.  Just conjecture at this point...

>>> OK. Based on the fact that Safari worked and that the certificate issues
>>> were addressed slightly differently in Safari, I went back to FireFox
>>> and opened up the details on how it was handling that certificate. I
>>> removed the defaults and made it allow everything. I think the only
>>> difference was allowing popups for the site. But, in any case, it now
>>> works!!
>>>

>> uhhh....?
>>

>>> So, in my case, it seems to be some weird interaction between the
>>> expired certificate, how that is being handled, and the session cookie.
>>> Popups? Where does that come in?
>>>

>> It shouldn't have anything to do with the certificate.  Once it's
>> accepted, traffic can move over SSL between browser and server, and
>> its status shouldn't matter, expired or not.  I don't quite know what
>> you mean by allowing popups in the context of the SSL certificate.
>> But popups in general shouldn't be an issue, either, since there is no
>> popup in this case.
>>
>> So far, the best guess I have is as above - the re-sent cookie differs
>> just enough from the original to cause problems in some cases.
>
> Just to clarify and fill out some details.
>
> In Firefox, if I click on the icon next to the url field at the top, it
> brings up the dialog titled "Page Info - https://mydomain/mail/...";. If
> I click on the permissions tab, I then see 4 groups of options.
> Originally, they were all set to "Use Default", and the result was that
> Load Images was allowed, Open Pop-up Windows was blocked, Set Cookies
> was allowed, and Install Extensions or Themes was blocked. I clicked off
> the Use Default on the first three and set the Open Pop-up Windows to allow.
>
> That is the only change I made. Previously, the dialog had come up with
> the Security tab selected, when the certificate expired, I simply asked
> Firefox to set an exception for it and accept it.
>
> In Safari (which I don't normally use, so I had not encountered the
> expired certificate yet), when the objection came up to the expired
> certificate, I clicked on the button to Show Certificate, then there was
> a triangle icon down to the left that opened up a section of the window
> for Trust. In that section, there was a popup that initially said Use
> System Defaults. I changed that to Always Trust, and it popped the other
> options to Always Trust. Then I clicked Continue. Safari worked, and
> that is what triggered me to go back to Firefox and change all the
> options to Allow as described above.
>
> I don't know how or why that interacts with what is being done with the
> cookie/session to make it work rather than decide that I am not logged in.

If you are able to reproduce it again in Firefox, you could use some
of the suggestions I made in my last email on this thread as well as
the one in the other thread to help narrow it down.  Currently the
things up in the air are whether the session data files are correct
and what happens with the cookie when PHP re-sends it.

Can you please re-verify that your broken environment is PHP 5?

> It would be interesting to hear from Andreas as to whether he might have
> a self signed certificate that he long ago made an exception for in
> Firefox and has forgotten about. It could be that the "Always Trust" has
> details beyond what is explicit in the dialog in terms of options. Then,
> if the cookie varies slightly, Firefox gets its nose out of joint.
>
> Anyway, unless we come up with a fix in php or squirrelmail, we are
> going to hold off on the upgrade and put renewing our certificate on the
> front burner. A problem like this just becomes a real pain when you have
> to deal with a lot of users.

With the XSS issues identified in versions lower than 1.4.17, you
might instead consider doing the upgrade immediately and just
commenting out the session_regenerate call.

> Monday, we will hit up the Windows support guy and have him try out IE.

Thanks for your help.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team