upgrade to 1.4.18 gives "you must be logged in" error

I have 3 very similar servers with different domains running squirrelmail.

I updated all three from 1.4.10a to 1.4.18 this morning.

2 of them went perfectly smoothly. I untarred the release into the ssl
directory. I copied the config.php file from the older release to the
newer release. I connected from FireFox to make sure the existing
install was working. Then I removed a symlink "mail" that pointed to
squirrelmail-1.4.10a and recreated it pointing to squirrelmail-1.4.18.
Then I connected from FireFox to make sure the new install was working.

So, the configured smdata and smattach are unchanged. The same Apache
and php are running and the config file still points to the same place
which still has ownership and write access for user http.

On the third server, following exactly the same procedures, when I tried
to connect to the new 1.4.18, it took me from the login page to an error
page saying "you must be logged in to access this page". Since I have
many users depending on this, I immediately reverted the symlink back to
1.4.10a. My attempt to connect then worked.

I tried going to my FireFox preferences and deleting the squirrelmail
cookies from all three domains. Then I tried going to 1.4.18 on the 3rd
domain. Same error.

There are two differences that I can think of for the servers. The first
2 are back on php 4, because they have some legacy code that needs to be
fixed in some other applications. The 3rd server, which gives me this
error, is on php 5.

Also, the 3rd server has an expired certificate. We have been
negotiating changing where we get our certificates, so it can't be
resolved quite yet. I told FireFox to add an exception for this domain
and accept the expired certificate. It hasn't complained since. I don't
think this should affect squirrelmail, but I'm stumped, so I'm just
including anything that's different.

I haven't had other users try it, because I don't want to leave it
broken long enough to coordinate other people to try it. When I test,
all I'm doing is changing the symlink to point to 1.4.18, seeing that
the login page shows the expected version of squirrelmail, and trying to
login. If it fails, switch the symlink back to 1.4.10a, test to make
sure it works, and then figure out what else to try.

My root partition has 5G free space and my web partition has 2G free
space. /var/mail has 4G free. There are no reported problems with mail
or with other mail clients. (Actually, there are no reported problems
with squirrelmail either, because I've been very quick at switching back
to the working version ;-)  ).

Any ideas what else I should look at?

--

Chris Hoogendyk