Re: office attachments are corrupted

>>> I checked the 2 files with diff, and they are identical other than blanks.
>>>

>> That's not trivial.  The blanks are the key.  This usually happens
>> because some poorly configured or coded plugin.  Maybe you should
>> check again that you disabled all your plugins.
>>

>>> Windows reports the files the file downloaded from SM is 2 bytes larger than
>>> the one downloaded from a different client. So my question is now why or
>>> what is causing SM to add a blank or two? Any ideas on what else could cause
>>> this variation?
>>>

>> Either you modified the source code and inadvertently caused some such
>> output in your modifications, or you misconfigured a plugin with the
>> same result, or you have installed an old, poorly coded plugin.
>> SquirrelMail 1.4.17 does not output any such blanks by default.
>
>    I've tried disabling all plugins before I posted to this list. This
> problem doesn't occur with .zip files or images (.png or .jpg) files,
> only ms office files that I've tested, .doc and .xls specifically.

Doubtful.  Take a hex editor and compare those image files, too.  They
probably have the spaces too.

> I've not modified the source code at all, and just used a base install,
> and used the conf.pl to configure SM.
> The only thing I did was use mysql for user pref's and global address book.
> Got any other ideas?

Again, since SM doesn't do this by default, all I can think of is that
it's specific to your server.  Maybe someone else has some ideas, but
all I'd say is to start over with a fresh install, downloaded directly
from squirrelmail.org.