Re: Changing the UI views in current dev SM

On Nov 14, 2008, at 7:21 PM, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Scott Haneda <talklists@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

>> with the issues I was having, I tracked down the CSS selector in the
>> table that is iterated in the message view.  I download the themes
>
> Download?  It's already there in the SM directory on your web server.

I do not always have local access to the machine, so I can not issue
grep command over ftp, in which case, I need to download the files
locally, in order to test search patterns on them.

>> folder in SM, and searched all files for the name of that selector,
>> and can not locate it.  I am sure it is there, but I only put a small
>> amount of effort into it.
>
> The themes directory is deprecated I think.  You should look in either
> the css or templates (such as templates/default/css) directories.  If
> you found the style name already, all you need to do is grep the whole
> source tree to find it.

Noted, thanks.

http://www.razorskins.com/shop/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=24

>> The skins that come with SM, largely, to me, look a lot like terminal
>> coloring gone bad :)  Of all the installs I have used, I have never
>> seen more than just the default classic in use by others.  I have
>> seen
>> a few of the 2 aforementioned skins in use, but again, they do not
>> keep up with the rapid development cycle of SM.
>
> You are welcome to play with the default (or default advanced) skin in
> 1.5.2 and change it to suit your needs (and share with the community
> please).  Once 1.5.2 becomes more stable, the hope is that it catches
> on and people begin to develop skins for it.  But as I mentioned
> earlier in this thread, finding free time to complete some of the big
> development tasks needed for 1.5.2 has become difficult for many of us
> on the team.

I will start looking into it as soon as I get a spare moment this
evening.

>> For lack of a better word, SM needs a
>> 'web 2.0' skin, maybe not so heavy on the AJAX junk, but something
>> that gives this book a good cover.
>
> Another development goal of 1.5.2 is to support "AJAX"-like
> functionality.  The foundations for this are already in place.
>
>> I have wanted to do this for a long time.  I see some hurdles.  As
>> the
>> above poster mentioned, there are not the best of ways to hook into
>> the core code.
>
> SM has a very flexible "hook" architecture for plugins.  As of 1.5.2,
> there is very little in the way of output (which usually means HTML,
> but doesn't have to be) involved in the core.  Graphical tweaks are
> not made in the core.

Good to know, I will have to look at the default and see what it will
take to get me up to speed.

>> I am very much willing to put the time into this.  The problem is, I
>> will be making changes to the core, and I am not in the slightest bit
>> familiar with how those changes get back into the main core release.
>> I would be making a massive change to the look and feel of SM, I
>> would
>> not have much desire to make my changes, and then make a second skin
>> to drop SM back down into the current standard look and feel.
>
> You misunderstand the architecture and development goals of 1.5.2.
> You might poke around the community or list archives if you are still
> not clear.  We'd love to have you look at creating a better looking
> skin or suggest changes to the core that will help make skin
> development easier or more sensical.  Currently the skins and related
> code are still being cleaned up, so any skin you create now may need
> to be updated as 1.5.2 matures.  It's still probably a bit "dirty"
> (relies on tables, style names are a mess, etc) because it was a
> nightmare to pull the HTML out of the core and into the template
> files.  Steve did an amazing job with that, but we are still needing
> some cleanup and there remain a couple outstanding
> technical/architectural decisions.

I have no issues with making tweaks to make it stay working with the
developments branch as things move forward, it is to be expected.

> We'd love to have your input and energy.  I think you may find the
> layout and styles in 1.5.2 are still a frustrating mess, but we will
> gladly submit fixes for that to the core so that you can maintain a
> skin that just plugs right into the core, which is what you are asking
> for.
>
> Also, if you can please report the style name for the table issue you
> identified (and even the fix if you find it), I will put the fix into
> the default skins.

Sure, let me start to poke into it again, and I will post my findings
as soon as I am familiar with the new way of working on this stuff.

Thanks for your comments.
--
Scott