Re: sendreceipt privacy problem

>> The problem is that SM can't magically know what address to use.  It
>> can't just pick the TO header and use that address, because that's
>> often not even your address at all.  It thus uses the current login
>> username, since that's usually the best bet.  Your situation is not
>> the norm.  SM would have to be changed to ask you what, if any, alias
>> to use to send the receipt.  Patches welcome.
>
> The problem is that SM doesn't have to know my primary address when just
> parsing the mail header.

This statement is not clear to me.

> So it would not be possible to betray my primary
> email address.

Of course it is possible, since you log in with it (as far as I understand).

> But maybe it collide with some other function of sm I
> doesn't understand?
> Here an example, a RFC822 header of one test email:

> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:41:24 +0200 (CEST)
> Subject: test
> From: "Squirrel Dennis" <mail-Nk1USUNpOFh5UldmdEZsZFM2WXI5NH@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: example-real-existing-public-address@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> There are five (Return-Path, From, Reply-To, X-Confirm-Reading-To,
> Disposition-Notification-To) fields with correct contents of my alias
> address, but it sends for read receipt my primary private email address.

Headers for a regular message are not relevant since the sending
process is not the same.  If you made the sending process more
similar, that is, let the user choose who to send the message out just
like on the normal compose screen, then it could send the message as
the desired alias.  Otherwise, you could try to make SM guess what
alias to use, such as by parsing the TO and CC headers and seeing if a
match to one of your aliases is found, but that's not 100% reliable,
since you could have been BCC'd etc.

> In this example when I accept sending read receipt, I got the read receipt
> by my primary private email address. )-; Yes, patches are welcome. I'm
> perl programmer and able to read/modify php, but it seems it's a mistake
> by design and not just fixed be one line. And maybe there are some other
> issue I can't see, so this behavior is "correct"?

It's very much correct in 95% of the environments out there.  Yours is
not the norm.  If you want to make accusations about bad design (sure
it could have been designed differently), then that's not going to
motivate anyone to take the time to redesign it I think.