Re: performance issues that seemingly can not be solved.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Paul Lesniewski wrote:

>>> I know, I feel it is slow as well.
>
> Your response doesn't indicate you understood what Chris wrote.  He
> was indicating that the 3-second time is irrelevant.  When SM needs to
> gather headers is when you incur the big performance hit, which is to
> be expected with an INBOX that big.

>>> That is what I thought as well.  First, can you tell me why SM has to do
>>> three selects?  At least, that is what I read, I am just curious as to
>>> why that is.
>>
>> Not off the top of my head.  It's been a long time since I've delved
>> into it, my Real Life has really slammed my development time.
>
> If you insist on keeping enormous INBOXes (bad form IMO), try
> SquirrelMail 1.5.2, where header fetching has been redesigned and is
> faster in this scenario, but you still should clean out your INBOX.
>
>>> Can you explain, technically, why sort is more or less a requirement?
>>
>> Because the IMAP server is going to be faster at sorting the messages
>> than PHP is going to be.
>
> And the EIMS developer showed surprising ignorance regarding this
> fact.  That's the biggest sign to me that you need to find a better
> IMAP server.

Might I suggest switching to Dovecot. I don't know if it's possible, but
when I made that switch, opening my inbox went from 15-30 seconds with
around 500 messages, to under 3 seconds. Dovecot creates nice indexes for
your email folders, including the inbox, and also does all the sorts for
you.

My 2 bits, and worth what you are paying me...

Karl

>>> Here is a dialogue I had about my email server, and I would like to know
>>> as much about this as I can:
>>>
>>> /*****
>>> I stated this
>>>
>>> Developer replied this
>>
>> This is most definitely the case with PHP-based webmail.
>>
>>> I am looking at Dovecot very strongly.  What hardware was  your select
>>> against, and the drive setup as well?  Do you have a case where you
>>> could do a select on something pretty large, maybe 50,000?  Exactly what
>>> is considered too many messages to a IMAP mailbox?
>>
>> I could, if I had any folders that big, but I don't keep that much stuff
>> around. I'm sure there's plenty of Cyrus and Courier benchmarks out
>> there though, and plenty of "mbox vs. maildir" comparisons.  Gonna have
>> to do a little Googling on this one, methinks.

---
       _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
   _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
---
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
  to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---