performance issues that seemingly can not be solved.

Hello, I am running SquirrelMail 1.4.16, against EIMS Mail Server
which support IMAP.

SquirrelMail is very slow at loading mailboxes.  EIMS stores mail in a
single file, like UW IMAP server.  If I telnet into the server, and
select a mailbox, one in which I feel it is not that large, perhaps
3000 messages, I can get back a message count in under 3 seconds.

SquirrelMail takes about 3 times as long to return the page.

I have read all the docs at:
http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/SpeedWithUW
None of which seem to help.

a1 OK login successful
a2 SELECT "Read Mail 2008"
* FLAGS (\Deleted \Seen \Recent \Answered \Flagged \Draft $MDNSent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Deleted \Seen \Answered \Flagged \Draft
$MDNSent)] OK
* 3320 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 3299809062] OK
* OK [UIDNEXT 3350] OK
a2 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT succeded

a3 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=NTLM UIDPLUS
IDLE QUOTA NAMESPACE
a3 OK CAPABILITY completed

I have spoken with the developer, and he states that even though EIMS
does not support sort and thread, that should have no impact on
performance, and in fact it could slow it down.

What is the trick to speed up web email?  Or, can anyone give me any
insight as to what my email server is doing wrong.  Can someone give
me some rough select times on mailboxes that have a lot of messages in
them as well?
--
Scott