Re: performance issues that seemingly can not be solved.

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Chris Hilts <tassium@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Scott Haneda wrote:
>>> 3 seconds just to tell you how many messages there are.  Now imagine how
>>> long it takes to fetch headers.
>>
>> I know, I feel it is slow as well.

Your response doesn't indicate you understood what Chris wrote.  He
was indicating that the 3-second time is irrelevant.  When SM needs to
gather headers is when you incur the big performance hit, which is to
be expected with an INBOX that big.

>>> Server-side sort is a huge win for webmail. On large mailboxes, it is
>>> pretty much a requirement.
>>
>> That is what I thought as well.  First, can you tell me why SM has to do
>> three selects?  At least, that is what I read, I am just curious as to
>> why that is.
>
> Not off the top of my head.  It's been a long time since I've delved
> into it, my Real Life has really slammed my development time.

If you insist on keeping enormous INBOXes (bad form IMO), try
SquirrelMail 1.5.2, where header fetching has been redesigned and is
faster in this scenario, but you still should clean out your INBOX.

>> Can you explain, technically, why sort is more or less a requirement?
>
> Because the IMAP server is going to be faster at sorting the messages
> than PHP is going to be.

And the EIMS developer showed surprising ignorance regarding this
fact.  That's the biggest sign to me that you need to find a better
IMAP server.