Re: cannot login

See comments below.

Paul Lesniewski wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Bob Wooden <bobwdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> My software install was done following "How to setup a mail server on a
>> GNU/Linux system" written by Ivar Abrahamson over at flurdy.com. I am
>> sure everyone on this list is familiar, as I see some references to it
>> in the archives.
>>

> No, never heard of it.  Please provide a full link next time:
>
> http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/index.html

ah, sorry.

>> May problem is I cannot login to the "Squirrelmail login homepage." I
>> can successfully ssh into this machine. I can access the "phpmyadmin
>> home page." On this phpmyadmin login, my user and password work.
>>
>> When I try to login to Squirrelmail, I get a "ERROR: Connection dropped
>> by IMAP server."
>>
>> Tailing the mail.info (log) I see "[date] [time] [myservername]
>> authdaemond: failed to connect to mysql server (server=localhost,
>> user=admin): Access denied for user 'admin@localhost' (using password: YES)"
>>
>> My mysql.log shows "...Access denied for user 'admin@localhost' (using
>> password: YES)"
>>
>> I have reviewed my setup and confirmed that I never setup
>> admin@localhost and that admin user does not exist on my system. So, I
>> have been trying (with no luck) to find out why authdaemond is asking to
>> connect via admin@localhost?
>>

> "admin" should be a user in MySQL, not on the local system.  Find the
> Courier Authlib "authdaemonrc" configuration file and change the
> username is uses to log in to MySQL to whatever username you have set
> up for that purpose.  Again, we're talking MySQL users, not local
> ones.

On your advice, I went to this file and discovered some typos and
corrected them.

Now, I am getting a "ERROR  Unknown user or password incorrect." And a
link back to the login page.

The mail.info file show activity that "imapd-ssl: LOGIN FAILED,
user=[tried several existing users] ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1] 9which looks
like an ipv6 address to me)
And 5 seconds later the next line is "imapd-ssl: LOGOUT,
ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], rcvd=45, sent=334

The mysql.log shows    "Query SELECT id, crypt, "", uid, gid, home, "",
""  "
Then after about 2 minutes   "Quit"

>> I have may years experience with Linux and a couple years experience
>> with Ubuntu. And yet, I am a newbie in the software area of mail
>> servers. This is my first attempt, so, I may have made a stupid mistake,
>> somewhere.  So, I apologize for my newness up front, but I have to start
>> somewhere.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So, I still cannot login into Squirrelmail.  Again, any help would be
greatly appreciated.