Re: cannot login

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Bob Wooden <bobwdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My software install was done following "How to setup a mail server on a
> GNU/Linux system" written by Ivar Abrahamson over at flurdy.com. I am
> sure everyone on this list is familiar, as I see some references to it
> in the archives.

No, never heard of it.  Please provide a full link next time:

http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/index.html

> May problem is I cannot login to the "Squirrelmail login homepage." I
> can successfully ssh into this machine. I can access the "phpmyadmin
> home page." On this phpmyadmin login, my user and password work.
>
> When I try to login to Squirrelmail, I get a "ERROR: Connection dropped
> by IMAP server."
>
> Tailing the mail.info (log) I see "[date] [time] [myservername]
> authdaemond: failed to connect to mysql server (server=localhost,
> user=admin): Access denied for user 'admin@localhost' (using password: YES)"
>
> My mysql.log shows "...Access denied for user 'admin@localhost' (using
> password: YES)"
>
> I have reviewed my setup and confirmed that I never setup
> admin@localhost and that admin user does not exist on my system. So, I
> have been trying (with no luck) to find out why authdaemond is asking to
> connect via admin@localhost?

"admin" should be a user in MySQL, not on the local system.  Find the
Courier Authlib "authdaemonrc" configuration file and change the
username is uses to log in to MySQL to whatever username you have set
up for that purpose.  Again, we're talking MySQL users, not local
ones.