cannot login

My software install was done following "How to setup a mail server on a
GNU/Linux system" written by Ivar Abrahamson over at flurdy.com. I am
sure everyone on this list is familiar, as I see some references to it
in the archives.

May problem is I cannot login to the "Squirrelmail login homepage." I
can successfully ssh into this machine. I can access the "phpmyadmin
home page." On this phpmyadmin login, my user and password work.

When I try to login to Squirrelmail, I get a "ERROR: Connection dropped
by IMAP server."

Tailing the mail.info (log) I see "[date] [time] [myservername]
authdaemond: failed to connect to mysql server (server=localhost,
user=admin): Access denied for user 'admin@localhost' (using password: YES)"

My mysql.log shows "...Access denied for user 'admin@localhost' (using
password: YES)"

I have reviewed my setup and confirmed that I never setup
admin@localhost and that admin user does not exist on my system. So, I
have been trying (with no luck) to find out why authdaemond is asking to
connect via admin@localhost?

I have may years experience with Linux and a couple years experience
with Ubuntu. And yet, I am a newbie in the software area of mail
servers. This is my first attempt, so, I may have made a stupid mistake,
somewhere.  So, I apologize for my newness up front, but I have to start
somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.