Re: Squirrelmail: The server couldn't find the messageyou requested.

Please do not top post.  Please read the posting guidelines before
posting again, thanks.

>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I have installed qmail-toaster as my mail server and squirrelmail as my
>>> webmail client. Recently when i migrated my mail server to a new machine,
>>> encountered the following problems. Some users report that some mails are
>>> unreadable through squirrelmail.
>>>
>>> The error message i received in squirrelmail is like below:

>>> I checked the courierimapuiddb that the UID jumps from 1230 to 3001
>>> suddenly
>>> and the mails start from 3001 cannot be read. I can ensure that no mails
>>> are
>>> lost.
>>>
>>> Just now i tried to delete the courierimapuiddb file and restart the
>>> qmail.
>>> When i accessed squirrelmail, the new courierimapuiddb shows the max uid
>>> is 1361 and after i randomly access some mail, the max uid keeps
>>> increasing.
>>>
>>> 1227 200604051241125E02.tmp
>>> 1228 200604061738396EA0.tmp
>>> 1229 2005040111570096A9.tmp
>>> 1230 200501012257384ACE.tmp
>>> 3001 200601050920099902.tmp
>>> 3002 2005070502335445A4.tmp
>>> 3003 20041021172838513E.tmp
>>> 3004 20050715163354652F.tmp
>>> 3005 200510281433411FE4.tmp
>>> 3006 200410020038431786.tmp
>>>
>>> And only those uids greater than 1230 keep increasing and unreadable.
>>
>> Although you don't specifically detail what actions seem to generate
>> the erroneous UID problems, this sounds a lot like an IMAP server
>> issue and not much to do with SM.  I'd take this to a more relevant
>> forum or try reinstalling your IMAP server and migrating your mail
>> again/differently after you verify that a clean (no messages) server
>> is working as expected.
>
> I have posted this problem in Courier IMAP mailing list and they said this
> is related to SM, :)

Well then you or they have to explain *EXACTLY* what actions you take
to produce this behavior (I don't think anyone has ever notified us of
such before, but I could be wrong, especially since I don't understand
how you produce the problem) and what the perceived problem is - what
is it that they think SM is telling the IMAP server to do to produce
the problem?

> Anyway, i just found a way to resolve this issue. I disabled the uid support
> in SquirrelMail config file. Those mails can be read now.
>
> But i still don't know what's the reason, and i don't think this is the best
> way to resolve it.

Certainly not.

> Hope anyone can help.

I already made the suggestion to try a fresh IMAP server install with
NO imported messages.  Please test that first.  Your import sequence
could also be at fault.