Re: Sent folder empty after upgrade

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Robert M. Stockmann <stock@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 May 2008, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 7 May 2008, Robert M. Stockmann wrote:
>>
>> > Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 16:27:06 +0200 (CEST)
>> > From: Robert M. Stockmann <stock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> > To: squirrelmail-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> > Subject: Sent folder empty after upgrade
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> >  Linux: Redhat 7.3
>> >  kernel : 2.4.32
>> >  Squirrelmail: 1.4.13
>> >  PHP: 4.1.2
>> >  Apache: 1.3.23
>> >  Dovecot: 1.0.rc29
>> >  sendmail: 8.11.6
>> >  ClamAV: ClamAV 0.91.2/7046/Wed May  7 05:35:44 2008
>> >  Amavis: 0.2.4 using ClamAV acording http://crashrecovery.org/amavis.html
>> >
>> > The upgrade was from Squirrelmail v1.4.2 to Squirrelmail v1.4.13 in order
>> > to use the SpamCOP plugin. Here's the installed plugins :
> [ ]
>> > All users after logging in for the first time in Squirrelmail: 1.4.13
>> > had apparently expunged their Sent folder, which contained
>> > all email ever sent through Squirrelmail. I take this 'bug' pretty
>> > serious as i have never heard of a open source program which
>> > wipes all Sent email data after a upgrade.
>>
>> Then you should take upgrades of software more seriously than just
>> unleashing your users on it *untested*.
>
> This is somehow very strange to me, as a upgrade of Squirrelmail is
> actually _just_ the replacement of some php files inside the document
> root of a apache webserver and doesn't affect the used IMAP software
> directly. And indeed the Upgrading SquirrelMail documentation
>
> 4. Upgrading SquirrelMail
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-4.html
>
> makes NO mention whatsoever to backup ALL OF YOUR IMAP folders before
> running a first test run with the new SquirrelMail version.

Probably because SM has never been known to have no such "bug".  No
one has ever reported this "bug", so I'm inclined to think that it is
NOT.  However, common sense dictates that if you are installing
software that has access to your IMAP server and the subsequent
ability to remove messages, then sure, there is at least some risk
that something like this could happen, however infinitely small.  If
you think you could b0rk it up that bad, then back up your mail store
before upgrading.  Saying "just some PHP files" is naive considering
PHP is a varied and powerful programming language.  You already know
that SM has the ability to connect to the IMAP server and read *and*
delete messages there, so *of course* it can have an effect on the
IMAP portion of your mail system.

>> SM does not automatically remove messages unless the user had already
>> tagged them as deleted and you have the auto-expunge setting turned
>> on, and even then, I think you might have to visit the Sent folder to
>> trip the code.  Either way, I doubt this is a SM "bug" as you claim.
>>
>> Perhaps the setting for $sent_folder in the configuration is incorrect
>> and the folder is still there full of mail.  Compare the setting
>> between your new and old installations.  Note that this can be
>> overridden in the user's own prefs.
>>
>> Otherwise, look to see if there is anything suspicious in the user
>> prefs file.  Create a test account, and use it with your old SM
>> installation.  Send some messages.  Then delete the user prefs file or
>> start with a fresh one and use the account in the new SM installation.
>> If this is the issue, compare the two pref files.
>>
>> Also disable all plugins, especially sent_subfolders and try the
>> process again.  Use the process of elimination to see if any one
>> plugin is causing the issue.
>
> I presume and urgently advise that all of your rethoric above should be
> inserted with HUGE flashing Warning Signs into :

I think you should try the ideas I took the time to write to you and
you'll probably find that the messages were never in fact deleted and
that you merely misconfigured your sent folder settings or some such.