Re: Spamming Through Squirrelmail

I had a very similar account compromise a couple weeks ago. It was a
different spam message, but seems to be a similar tactic. They were
logging in legitimately as one of my users. The first clue we had that
something was wrong was that the messages her inbox had been deleted. I
initially assumed user error (it happens more frequently than you'd
think), so I just restored it from backups and went on my way.

A couple of days later, I discovered the mail server had been churning
out many many emails from alphadi.company@xxxxxxxx, which seemed a bit
suspicious. Turns out her Squirrelmail preferences had been set to use
"Seidnaly Sidhamed" as her name, and alphadi.company@xxxxxxxx as her
From address. The spam message (which I found replicated here:
http://website.lineone.net/~farrago/cia/2007b/1675ss.htm) was set as
her signature -- I assume to facilitate sending quickly.

The IP addresses that were involved are 41.221.161.120 and
41.221.161.115. Those two address were responsible for 1228 calls to
compose.php in an 8 hour period. According to WHOIS, they belong to the
"African Network Information Center" in Mauritius, though that owns all
of 41.X.X.X.

After the initial login, the only activity from that account was calls
to compose.php. Each message was to exactly 300 users, and I'm not sure
if there was some script that called compose.php, or some spammer did
it manually.

--
Dan Bongert                     dbongert@xxxxxxxxxxxx
SSCC Unix System Administrator  (608) 262-9857