Squirellmail /var/www/webmail/data directory piling up

Hi,
I am running qmail. The front end is squirellmail version 1.4.4. The /var/www/webmail/data dirctory which stores the users preference files is consuming up a huge amount of space. At what cost can I create a new data directory or is there any way out by which the size /var/www/webmail/data dirctory can be reduced.

What I can make out is that the DATA directory is still storing the old users (users which have been deleted) preference and adress book files. How can I free up this space.
Please help.

Regards,
Ankur Mohan
09915070432