Re: Server authentication

Please do NOT top post, thank you.

> > > Hi thanx for the reply.  It's not the shell access I'm bothered about..
> > > allow me to explain further.
> > > What I was thinking is, the frontend squirrelmail is just that, nothing
> > > else.  It will be just a webserver, serving that page.  There will be no
> > > user accounts on there what so ever.  I was thinking about having
> > > virtual user accounts that log into the frontend and this somehow logs
> > > into the actual mail server (located elsewhere) with the actual user
> > > accounts on that server.  Now is PAM some kind of solution?  and if so,
> > > how would I get squirrelmail to talk to PAM on another server?
> > > If you need anymore info, please tell me what you need.
> >
> > It is possible to seperate web server and mail server on different hosts,
> > but squirrelmail uses imap authentication (from the mail server) to log
> > the user in, it has no user database on its own.
> > Do you really need different users/passwords on your squirrelmail server?
>
> yes.. separate credentials are one of the things that has specifically
> been requested.

Separate from exactly what?  Not meaning to offend, but my guess is
that you may not understand the concept of how SM authenticates and/or
what a "mail account" is.  SM can care less about what kind of account
the user has; SM merely takes the credentials you give it and uses
them to ask the IMAP server if the user is authenticated or not.
That's it.  There is only one set of credentials.  The fact that SM
asks the IMAP server means that you can put SM and the IMAP server in
two completely different hemispheres and it does not matter.  The user
credentials would still be the SAME, not "separate".

>  I have everything ready to go, it's just this
> authentication issue I have.

As has been suggested, Login Manager (vlogin) can help you remap
usernames, but I can't see any reason why you'd want to create such a
convoluted system.  Because users are "logging in" to SM on the web
server does not mean that they have ANY access to the web server at
all.