Server authentication

Hi all,
	I've spent a few hours searching this before I posted, but if I have
missed something, please feel free to flame me.
Anyway.. to the point.  Both of these servers are running Debian.  The
main mail server is running Exim4 and Dovecot and the frontend is
running Squirrelmail (who'da thunk it).  What I am trying to do now is
have one set of credentials on the frontend that the user obviously
needs to know and for those details to access the actual credentials on
the mail server itself, which the user doesn't need to know.
Has anyone ever done this and what is involved?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

--

Ebuyer (UK) Ltd. - Registered in England and Wales No. 3941136
Registered Office: Ferry Road, Howden, East Yorkshire, DN14 7UW