Re: Spam Sent From WebMail

Ken A wrote:
Nick Bright wrote:
Ken A wrote:
Nick Bright wrote:

Per some suggestions in the thread I was able to determine that they are
not using "mailto.php", but rather compose.php:

/var/log/httpd/access_log:196.1.179.183 - - [07/Oct/2007:21:54:10 -0500]
"GET /webmail/src/compose.php?mail_sent=yes HTTP/1.1" 200 37102
"http://webmail.terraworld.net/webmail/src/compose.php?mailbox=None&startMessage=0";
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)"

Are you saying that was the only entry in the log from that IP? They only hit compose.php? If not, what was the sequence of events?
There were many hits from quite a few different IP addresses, and they all looked simmilar to that. I've extracted log entries from that IP address, and attached the file to this message.

 From what I can tell it logs in, then hits compose.php repeatedly.

That's odd. It really doesn't look like a bot. Perhaps it's using an IE toolbar of some sort to control the browser. There is a CAPTCHA plugin, and a "Password Forget" plugin, but when a bot behaves like a user, it's hard to block without inconveniencing the user. :-\

Yes that was my take as well, it really looks like a user using
webmail but when I go through my AOL mail loop messages they show
headers such as:

from 81.199.179.36 (proxying for 10.250.50.255)        (SquirrelMail
authenticated user exploiteduser)        by webmail.terraworld.net with
HTTP;        Thu, 4 Oct 2007 18:57:06 -0500 (CDT)

IP Addresses from AOL mail loop:
196.1.179.183
78.138.2.196
41.219.220.2
81.199.179.36
84.254.188.2
88.202.124.6

Where the IP address connecting as user "exploiteduser" varies widely,
and the attached message is always the same 'lottry' phishing scam. I suppose it's possible that it's coming from the users' PC (they are on dialup after all), but the IP addresses vary so widely that I seriously doubt that it's one PC. The list is relatively short because I would expect most of the botnet to be listed on RBL's, and my web server blocks based on RBL lookups.

 - Nick

Ken

 - Nick

Ken

Nobody can reasonably expect an ISP to keep every single users' PC clean
of trashware constantly, so accordingly there needs to be some way to
mitigate the impact of this type of issue at the common point - the SquirrelMail installation. It doesn't seem to me like this is a bug or a security vulnerability in SM since a valid users' password was compromised, but is there any way to mitigate this type of thing?

I would appreciate any feedback regarding this topic and methods of
mitigating damage done by compromised accounts. I will also answer any
questions that may help develop a method of mitigation.

- Nick Bright
  Terra World
  http://home.terraworld.net

begin:vcard
fn:Nick Bright
n:Bright;Nick
org:Terra World Communications, LLC
adr:Suite #11;;200 ARCO Place;Independence;KS;67301;USA
email;internet:nick.bright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Network Administrator
tel;work:888-332-1616
tel;fax:620-332-1201