Re: Left nav panel doesn't load

Parker Dubberke wrote:
> Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>
>> On 8/21/07, Parker Dubberke <park@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>> I just set up a new machine with Squirrelmail. Everything seems to be
>>> working fine on first inspection, but the left navigation panel doesn't
>>> load when I access my server using a URL. I have two domains pointing at
>>> the server. The main frame loads OK and I can send/receive email and
>>> manipulate folders. Actually the left panel does load eventually using
>>> the URL, but it takes a long time, about 15 minutes. I'm assuming that's
>>> some kind of timeout. If I access the server using IPaddress/webmail,
>>> the left panel loads immediately.
>>>
>>> The server is natted behind a firewall that forwards http port 80
>>> requests to the server address. It seems that I either need to open some
>>> other port or I have some DNS issue. My URL resolves to a static IP at
>>> the front of the firewall.
>>>

>> I'm not sure why you have come to those conclusions?  I'd first look
>> at traditional SM performance tuning tips before you dig into that.
>> Can you test behind your firewall first?  There used to be a nice page
>> on the SM Wiki about SquirrelMail Performance, but it seems changed or
>> removed or reorganized or renamed.  Perhaps someone else can point out
>> where that information went.  Also, you don't say how big your mailbox
>> is.  Try 1.5.2 for kicks and if that speeds things up, you probably
>> have a very big mailbox and it's mostly down to trying to tune SM.
>>

>>> Specs:
>>> Fedora 7 - rpm installs
>>> httpd - 2.2.4-4.1.fc7
>>> dovecot - 1.0.3-14.fc7
>>> php - 5.2.2
>>> squirrelmail - 1.4.10a-1.fc7
>>>
>>> I installed the debugger plugin, but I don't know what it's telling me.
>>> I don't see any errors in the httpd or dovecot logs relating to this
>>> problem. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Park
>>>

> Sorry, I did not explain clearly. This is a NEW server. So far there are
> only a few test accounts with a few folders/messages each. No large
> mailboxes. So, I doubt this is a performance tuning issue. I am testing
> from behind the firewall. It is just the left panel that doesn't load,
> the right panel and all functionality are very fast. Sending and
> receiving messages works perfectly.

I have discovered some other clues about my Squirrelmail problem (left
panel does not load). I was playing with the Options and changed the
Custom Stylesheet selection under Display Preferences. Suddenly
squirrelmail worked, for a short time. I logged in and out a few times
and it worked.  Then after a few tries, again the left panel did not
load. I've tried a couple of different computer/browsers, on the same
network, with the same result. It was very inconsistent. If I change the
stylesheet it will work on one computer and not the other. Then I
discovered a workaround of a sort. I moved the Folder panel to the right
side of the screen. Now, the Folder panel loads immediately and the
Message panel remains blank! Using IE, the browser immediately says
"done" while Firefox shows the spinning progress icon. Something is up
with drawing the left-hand panel. But now, if I click on INBOX in the
Folder panel on the right, the Message panel appears immediately! After
that, for that session, everything works perfectly. So, it seems that
something is preventing the first rendering of whatever is supposed to
appear in the right frame.