Re: Problems with hotmail dropping mail sent via Squirrelmail

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 00:55:55 AM -0400, Ian Evans
(ianevans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Just wanted to quickly update this issue:
>
> 1) Email sent from our domain to hotmail.com IS delivered if sent via
> Outlook or Thunderbird
> 2) Email sent from our domain to hotmail.com IS delivered if sent via a
> script using the PHP5 mail() function.
> 3) Email sent from our domain to hotmail.com IS NOT delivered if sent via
> Squirrelmail

probably this is obvious but it doesn't hurt to double-check: is the SMTP
server the _same_ in all three cases?

> Could Hotmail be acting upon some SM header or anything like that?

Regardless of any problem with Squirrelmail, Hotmail does have an
history of silently dropping email to /dev/null without telling
anything either to the sender or the recipient.

Part of the problem is that they have their own idea and checklist
(linked from their FAQ) of what makes a genuine SMTP transaction and
server, so if the sending server is not compliant with it, mail will
disappear. The checklist is nothing really bad or un-standard, IIRC,
but is an extra hassle for mail admins and some parts of it are tricky
enough to still cause problems of this kind.

Check the archives of the postfix mailing list, where this issue
already came up several times, or:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2006-08/0816.html
http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3566
http://davesource.com/Bugs/hotmail.1.html