Re: Squirrelmail heavilly violating RFC2046

> 2007/7/3, Tomas Kuliavas <tokul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> > Since Squirrelmail inserts characters from other charset into a
>> > message body declared as being in iso-8859-2, it definitely violates
>> > the RFC and causes problems to recipients of such emails.
>>
>> SquirrelMail does not insert characters from other charsets. Your
>> browser does
>> that.
>
> Nope. It's squirrelmail which is doing that (on replies and forwards).
> Just try this:
>
> 1) send yourself email in UTF-8
> 2) try to reply/forward this email using Czech language settings
> (iso-8859-2)
>
> At the moment when Compose window comes up, all the quoted text from
> previous mail is broken and it is sent out this way.
>
> New (Czech) text you type in the compose window is correct.

I use Mozilla browser and I run utf-8 only webmail for years.

If I do what you are asking in iso-8859-2 SquirrelMail, unsupported
characters will be converted to html entities. I don't even have to test
it. I know that.

> 3) Try reading the reply/forward with any other email client. The
> original text is broken - still in UTF-8 although MIME declares
> ISO-8859-2. The new text is OK. This is clear RFC violation.
>
> 4) With lossy_encoding = true this problem does not exist.
>
>  > Lossy encoding does not affect data entered in message compose form. It
> only
>> makes sure that invalid data does not come from existing email messages.
>
> Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. So lossy_encoding should
> be always on,
> otherwise Squirrelmail corrupts replies/forwards and violates RFC2046.
>
>> utf-8 is not cleanest, but optimal solution. Main issues - no backwards
>> compatibility with older preferences and it will cause problems with all
>> web
>> mailers that don't follow MIME standards.
>>
>> Developers are thinking about converting everything to utf-8.
>
> This is good news. As I said before, it's 2007 and MIME RFCs came out in
> 1996.
> Mailers don't supporting MIME *10* years after RFC publication should
> be considered broken.

It is not MIME violation. It is only incorrect handling of compose form
combined with broken browser.

UTF-8 is more than 10 years old. Tell that to Eudora.

--
Tomas