Re: Squirrelmail heavilly violating RFC2046

2007/7/3, Tomas Kuliavas <tokul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Since Squirrelmail inserts characters from other charset into a
> > message body declared as being in iso-8859-2, it definitely violates
> > the RFC and causes problems to recipients of such emails.
>
> SquirrelMail does not insert characters from other charsets. Your browser does
> that.

Nope. It's squirrelmail which is doing that (on replies and forwards).
Just try this:

1) send yourself email in UTF-8
2) try to reply/forward this email using Czech language settings (iso-8859-2)

At the moment when Compose window comes up, all the quoted text from
previous mail is broken and it is sent out this way.

New (Czech) text you type in the compose window is correct.

3) Try reading the reply/forward with any other email client. The
original text is broken - still in UTF-8 although MIME declares
ISO-8859-2. The new text is OK. This is clear RFC violation.

4) With lossy_encoding = true this problem does not exist.

 > Lossy encoding does not affect data entered in message compose form. It only
> makes sure that invalid data does not come from existing email messages.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. So lossy_encoding should
be always on,
otherwise Squirrelmail corrupts replies/forwards and violates RFC2046.

> utf-8 is not cleanest, but optimal solution. Main issues - no backwards
> compatibility with older preferences and it will cause problems with all web
> mailers that don't follow MIME standards.
>
> Developers are thinking about converting everything to utf-8.

This is good news. As I said before, it's 2007 and MIME RFCs came out in 1996.
Mailers don't supporting MIME *10* years after RFC publication should
be considered broken.

Thanks, Petr