Re: Squirrelmail heavilly violating RFC2046

> After yesterday's discussion and some tests it's now clear that
> Squirrelmail heavily violates RFC2046 when left in default
> configuration ($lossy_encoding = false).
>
> With this default setting, replies/forwards to messages with
> non-identical charset are improperly formatted like this (example with
> Czech langueage setting):

> > qouted text in some other charset (win1250, utf-8, iso-8859-1, koi8-r etc...)
> new text in iso-8859-2
>
> RFC2046 clearly says:
>
> 'For other subtypes of "text" than "text/plain", the semantics of the
> "charset" parameter should be defined to be identical to those
> specified here for "text/plain", i.e., the body consists *entirely* of
> characters in the given charset.'
>
> Since Squirrelmail inserts characters from other charset into a
> message body declared as being in iso-8859-2, it definitely violates
> the RFC and causes problems to recipients of such emails.

SquirrelMail does not insert characters from other charsets. Your browser does
that. Only Internet Explorer and custom hacked compose forms can submit
information not in character set selected by end user. Gecko browsers send those
characters as html entities.

> I personally consider this to be a major bug. Therefore, I'd like to kindly
> ask:
>
> - all Squirrelmail users, to check their configuration and ensure that
> $lossy_encoding is always set to true

Lossy encoding does not affect data entered in message compose form. It only
makes sure that invalid data does not come from existing email messages. You are
free to enter any characters you want in message compose form.

> The cleanest solution here would be to use UTF-8 for all languages,
> which will ensure that the conversions are never lossy. Therefore I'm
> quite disappointed that the utf-8 version of Squirrelmail is not being
> updated since 1.4.8.

See Fedora, Gentoo.

> Anyway, the yesterday's advice from Tomas works
> great, so at least this should be put in README, FAQ, or so.

utf-8 is not cleanest, but optimal solution. Main issues - no backwards
compatibility with older preferences and it will cause problems with all web
mailers that don't follow MIME standards.

Developers are thinking about converting everything to utf-8.