Re: switching hosting companies

On Tue, May 1, 2007 9:53 am, Joe Macri wrote:
> Hello all
> we are going to switch to a different hosting company, we have the squirrel
> mail and plug ins all set to go on the new server. The problem is, we need to
> transfer mail from all the folders on the current server over to the same
> folders on the new server. How can this be done?

It depends upon the type of mail format you have, which you didn't specify, but
usually mail folders can be transferred. I've done it a couple of times.

> And, what will happen to the
> mail during the time it takes to make the DNS switch?

Again, you haven't given us any specifics, so I'll have to give you some general
steps. Much depends upon whether your primary nameserver is on the same box as your
domain, web site, mail, etc., (such as in a cPanel host) or whether you use an
external box for primary nameserver.

1. At least a week prior to the move, you should edit the DNS zone file to reduce
the SOA values. That will help to reduce propagation delays when you do make the
switch.

2. When you're ready to use the new server, edit the domain's "A" record in the DNS
zone on the old server to specify the new IP. That will also assist propagation, as
traffic hitting the old box will be given the new IP.

3. If you use personal nameservers, you'll have to update them with the new IPs
through a panel at your domain registrar.

4. Just in case you do have some mail end up on the old box after the move, check
your mailboxes on the old server for a week or so either via SquirrelMail or via IP
address rather than hostname.

I could provide more information, but without knowing your specifics I can't know
what to tell you. If you follow the steps I provided, that will help you execute a
seamless move.