Re: Turck MMCache & squirrelmail & performance

On 4/27/07, aragonx@xxxxxxxxxx <aragonx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hiya.  I think you need closer analysis of where the bottleneck(s) are
> before you just throw a PHP cache at the problem.  Without detailed
> information about your system, I can't really offer specific suggestions.

Okay,

Distro:  Fedora Core 6
Kernel:  Linux version 2.6.20-1.2944.fc6
(brewbuilder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 4.1.1 20070105 (Red
Hat 4.1.1-51)) #1 SMP Tue Apr 10 18:46:45 EDT 2007
CPU:     AMD Sempron 3000+
RAM:     1GB Dual-channel DDR 400 cas 2-2-5
Motherboard:  ASUS A7V880
Hard Drive:   Western Digital 120gb IDE

PHP Version 5.1.6
Apache/2.2.4 (Fedora)
IMAP:  dovecot-1.0.0-8_56.fc6.at
Mailbox format:  mbox

SquirrelMail Configuration : Read: config.php (1.4.0)
Plugins
  Installed Plugins
    1. delete_move_next
    2. filters
    3. message_details
    4. newmail
    5. sent_subfolders
    6. squirrelspell
    7. folder_sizes
    8. info
    9. listcommands
    10. administrator
    11. abook_take
    12. spamcop
    13. view_as_html
    14. compatibility
    15. image_buttons
    16. msg_flags
    17. attachment_tnef
    18. archive_mail
    19. empty_trash
    20. proon
    21. spamassassin

  Available Plugins:
    22. bug_report
    23. calendar
    24. addgraphics
    25. expire
    26. gpg
    27. translate
    28. mail_fetch
    29. fortune
    30. auto_prune_sent

> I'd look at optimizing the IMAP server first.

I have already implemented most of the suggestions in the optimization
guide except the cache.  The only thing I really don't want to do is sort
my mail upon receipt.

This all started happening when I installed the proon plugin.  Now, when I
log in, it can take a minute or more to finish.  This doesn't always
happen but it frequently does.

If you disable proon and/or filters and the problem goes away, the
only REAL way to fix your problem is to do server-side tasks on the
server, not in the client.  Your mail client, and especially one
written in PHP is not the place to filter incoming mail.  There's not
even a good reason to do it that way if you have the ability to do it
on the server.  If you're still stubborn about it, you might try
asking around the Dovecot community for performance tweaks.

I suppose I could try to figure out how to rewrite the proon as a cron
job.  Then it would not have to run at login.  That would be a serious
undertaking for me though.  :(

http://web.archive.org/web/20060222004235/www.squirrelmail.org/plugin_view.php?id=255

See attached for last publicly available copy.

Again, any help would be appreciated.