Re: Help! Need to migrate folders to a hosted env

On Thu, August 31, 2006 10:55 am, bassplayer@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I was running SM happy as clams on my own server but now I have to
> move to the other side of the states and I need my domain up so I
> moved my site to a host providoer that supports squirrelmail. And
> yes I can use their squirrelmail but I'm trying to figure out how to
> move my existing folder data and abook file to the new site. They
> use courier imap wit hsome abstraction I have yet to figure out.
> Instead of the folders existing in the ~/mail dir I'm seeing things
> like

Why is it that people always try to do server migrations at the
filesystem level instead of at the IMAP level??  The message store is
abstracted aways from the filesystem via the IMAP protocol, so why not
use that?  It's what it's there for.  Using IMAP, it doesn't matter
how the server saves the messages.

Install imapsync onto a Unix box, then use that to migrate your
folders/messages between servers.  Or, use Thunderbird, Kmail,
Outlook, or any other IMAP client that supports multiple accounts and
drag/drop or copy/paste the folders between accounts.

Do an export of your addressbook, then import it into the new server.

----
Freddie Cash, LPCI-2 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml@xxxxxxxxxx