Re: Squirrelmail + avelsieve + dovecot: is it possible?

> The server running postfix + dovecot + squirrelmail is a remote
> machine. Everything is already working there, with the exception of this
> "separate folders" issue.
>
> The home Linux PC where fetchmail is already running is my default PC.
> Normally I just connect to the server with fetchmail, download everything,
> without keeping it there, sort it on my drive with
> procmail, and am happy with it.
>
> So, once everything is set, I won't need to keep messages on the server, or
> install fetchmail _there_. I only want to see mail sorted in squirrelmail (in
> the same way they already are at home) for those periods when I'm away from
> home, and as soon as I return, move
> everything from the server to the home PC. Therefore seems there is no need
> for me to install serverside filter, is it?
Yes, serversidefilter plugin is only needed if you want to modify procmail
configuration file. If you edit those file by hand, you don't need that
plugin.

> Seems like I only
> have to set up procmail on the server with the same rules I already have at
> home, right?
Yes, you're right (depending on your IMAP folder settings which may differ).

> Or not?  Sorry if I'm looping over and over on
> this, I just want it to be clear also for future users, and I cannot test it
> myself till next week.
>
> In other words, I think I have understood your explanation below, but can it
> work /is it doable/necessary when postfix+dovecot+SM are on one machine and
> fetchmail only on another?
I think it's possible. You can fetch mails from server A (mail server) at
server B (home pc), then send  the mails to server C (SM server). You need a
MTA on server B and C and a valid procmail configuration on server C. But... I
would prefer fetchmail running on same system as MTA.

Live long and prosper
Florian
Squirrelmail patch forum
http://www.qv90.de/sqm