Re: Change username of mail account, or move mail to new account

Chris Hilts wrote:
> Alan in Toronto wrote:
>> SquirrelMail 1.4.6
>> PHP 4.3.11
>> UWIMAPD (IMAP4rev1 2003.339p-cpanel)
>> Apache 1.3.34
>> CentOS 4.3
>> Our webserver runs as nobody.
>
>> I want to change the username of a mail account that is accessed with
>> SM.
>> e.g. I want to change it from Moe@xxxxxxxxxxx to Curly@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>> (Domain stays the same, but mail user name changes.)
>
> Hmmm.  Well, the SquirrelMail side is easy - just rename Moe.* in your
> $data_dir to Curly.*  (Slightly more complicated if you use the gpg
> plugin or hashing, but you get the idea)
>
> As far as the IMAP side of things, I've never tried what you're asking
> with uw-imap.  In theory, as I understand it: rename the home directory,
> the user entry in [various directories].

[directory paths edited out, because on my server mod_security is blocking
my reply if it includes those paths]

> If you want a slightly-less-optimal solution, you could always just make
> Curly an alias to Moe, and have the user alter their From: header..
>
> Hope this helps, and good luck.  When you find the solution that works
> for you, go ahead and post it for the archives.. Maybe it'll help
> someone else out someday.

Thanks, that's a start. I'll pass that to the server admin in hopes that
he can refine it to a complete solution. (I can't use the idea of just
forwarding, because I want to :fail the original address due to way too
much spam.)

So, I could still use more detailed directions if anyone knows them.

Thanks Chris.