Search squid archive

Re: FW: Encrypted browser-Squid connection errors

On 11/1/22 6:27 PM, squid3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
No, you cropped my use-case description. It specified a client which was *unaware* that it was talking to a forward-proxy.

Sorry, that was unintentional.

Such a client will send requests that only a reverse-proxy or origin server can handle properly - because they have explicit special configuration to do so.

ACK

In all proxying cases there is special configuration somewhere. For forward-proxy it is in the client (or its OS so-called "default"), for reverse-proxy it is in the proxy, for interception-proxy it is in both the network and the proxy.

ACK

The working ones deliver an HTTP/1.1 302 redirect to their companies homepage if the request came from outside the company LAN. If the request came from an administrators machine it may respond with stats data about the node being probed.

I suspect that Squid et al. could do similar.  ;-)

Almost all the installs I have worked on had interception as part of their configuration.

Fair enough.

It is officially recommended to include interception as a backup to explicit forward-proxy for networks needing full traffic control and/or monitoring.

I've taken things one step further. I forego the interception and simply have the firewall / router hard block traffic not from the proxy server. }:-)

But short of that, I see and acknowledge the value of interception.

I take it from your statement you have not worked on networks like web-cafes, airports, schools, hospitals, public shopping malls who all use captive portal systems, or high-security institutions capturing traffic for personnel activity audits.

I have worked in schools, and other public places, some of which had a captive portal that intercepted to a web server to process registration or flat blocked non-proxied traffic. The proxy server in those cases was explicit.

There are also at least a half dozen nation states with national firewalls doing traffic monitoring and censorship. At least 3 of the ones I know of use Squid's for the HTTP portion.

I'm aware of a small number of such nation states. I assume that there are many more. I was not aware that Squid played in that arena.

ACK. That is you. I am coming at this from the maintainer viewpoint where the entire community's needs have to be balanced.

I maintain that the /default/ does not have to work for /all/ use cases.

I agree that the /default/ should work for /most/ use cases.

The current default doesn't work on servers using NLD Active API Server. Ergo the current default doesn't work on /all/ use cases. }:-)

And you were specifying the non-default-'http-alt' port via the "http://"; scheme in yours. Either way these are two different HTTP syntax with different "default port" values.

An agent supporting the http:// URL treats it as a request for some resource at the HTTP origin server indicated by the URL authority part or Host header.

An agent supporting the http-alt:// URL treats it as a request to forward-proxy the request-target specified in the URL query segment, using the upstream proxy indicated by the URL authority part or Host header.

If I'm understanding correctly, this is a case of someone asking Bob to connect to Bob. That's not a thing. Just talk directly to Bob.

The ones I am aware of are:
  * HTTP software testing and development
  * IoT sensor polling
  * printer network bootstrapping
  * manufacturing controller management
  * network stability monitoring systems

Why is anything developed in the last two decades green fielding with HTTP/0.9?!?!?!

I doubt anyone can quantify it accurately. But worldwide use of HTTP/1.1 is also dropping, and at a faster rate than 0.9/1.0 right now as the more efficient HTTP/2+ expand.

Sure.  There should be three categories of migrations:

HTTP/0.9 to something
HTTP/1.0 to something
HTTP/1.1 to HTTP/2

I sincerely hope that the somethings are going to HTTP/1.1 or HTTP/2.

HTTP/1.1 specification requires semantic compatibility. So long as 1.1 is still a thing the older versions are likely to remain as well. Undesirable as that may be.

ACK

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die