Search squid archive

Re: FW: Encrypted browser-Squid connection errors

On 10/19/22 11:33 PM, Rafael Akchurin wrote:
The following line set in the Script Address box of the browser proxy configuration will help - no need for a PAC file for quick tests. Be sure to adjust the proxy name and port.

data:,function FindProxyForURL(u, h){return "HTTPS proxy.example.lan:8443";}

Is it just me, or is it slightly disturbing that JavaScript in a configurations property box is being executed?

I guess I had naively assumed that something else, ideally hardened against malicious content, somewhere else is executing the JavaScript retrieved from the PAC file. -- I feel like there should be a separation of responsibilities.

More info at https://webproxy.diladele.com/docs/network/secure_proxy/browsers/

Aside: Why the propensity of running the HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, and SOCKS proxies on non-standard ports? Why not run them on their standard ports; 80, 443, 21, and 1080 respectively?

I switched to using standard ports years ago to simplify configuring HTTP proxy support in Ubuntu installers; "http://proxy.example.net/";, no need to fiddle with the port. Or if you have DNS search domains configured, "http://proxy/"; is sufficient.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die