Re: How to send a custom resolution message to windows/linux guest vdagent

So, remote-viewer is connected to spice-server on port 5901 and send a message "hey my new resolution is WxH, please inform the QXL" ?

>> b) the agents capture this message ?
>no (not anymore) server takes this message and sends it to the QXL video card

Server sends to spice channel on port 5901 and vdservice grabs and inform QXL ?

>> c) the agents set the new resolution inside the client ?
>the window manager notices the change and adjusts the resolution

So, vdservice (if I am not wrong) receives a new WxH and inform the QXL to create an arbitrary resolution and scales the screen? I am totally lost, because I simply cannot force an arbitrary resolution using the program I created using win-api, it just returns -2 all the time, meaning "bad resolution".

>> I want to understand how "arbitrary resolution" are possible.
>> I can't create an arbitrary resolution using the win-api, for
>> example, all I can do is search for the available modes starting the
>> devnode using enumdisplay from win-api. But using remote-viewer I
>> can force a 672x350 resolution for example.
>> So, why I need this?
>> I am trying to create a way to grab a window resolution (the windows
>> explorer at 700x500 window resolution, for example) and set the win
>> guest screen resolution to match the same resolution of the
>> explorer. Wrapping the remote-viewer window around the explorer and
>> adapt when is needed.
>> I am implementing a VDi solution that works like a "terminal service
>> app".
>> An user wants to use a notepad, for example, then I created a
>> program that resides inside the win guest, that receives the desired
>> app and hides everything else (desktop, taskbar, start menu, blocks
>> win-menu and other keys bindings) and only present the user with
>> notepad. (There's a similar solution for lnx as well in progress)
>> So far, everything is ok for win/lnx (most of it) guests - the only
>> thing I can't do, is set arbitrary resolutions, specially on windows
>> guests.
>> So I thought: I have to find a way to grab the notepad resolution
>> (that part is done) and send it to the spice-channel and create the
>> "wrapping effect around notepad".

>This sounds like the Seamless application project, please take a look at https://www.spice-space.org/seamless-applications.html

Actually, I am far away from trying a seamless. But you're correct, it sounds like a seamless.
In fact I am trying to do a simple aesthetic change, I already have a "run programs agent" inside the windows-guest plus win-api hooks that hides the remaining windows, start menu, task bar, key bindings, kill blacklisted programs and so on.

The aesthetic is about grab a window WxH, for example cmd.exe and shrink the screen to match the cmd.exe size.

The scenario would be:

1 - user wants to use cmd.exe
2 - "control agent" sends to my "run programs agent": hey, hide everything and open the cmd.exe for this person.
3 - "run programs agent" runs cmd.exe and grab the cmd.exe WxH
Now the aesthetic part (also the part I am lost and have no clue how to do that)
4 - "run programs agent" send a message to another agent in the hypervisor saying: "I need you to send a message to the spice channel and inform QXL to shrink the screen to W+10xH+10, where W and H is acquired by cmd.exe. And if the user "maximize" the cmd.exe all the message stuff you be repeated and adapted.

>Any comments are welcomed

So is this scenario possible? What do I need to study, codes to look into, anything to create a minimal injection linux (in the hypervisor) agent to play with messages to the spice channel and the QXL driver? Something like user@hypervisor:~$./spice_injector 5901 1024x768.

Thank you all and sorry about my crazy and stupid questions.

>> Thank you all in advance.
>> PS: sorry about my english - still learning.

>>> Jonathon