Re: How to send a custom resolution message to windows/linux guest vdagent

Hi,

First of all, thank you all for the quick answers.

The cut off message was my fault, sorry about that.

I am trying to understand this:

Lets say I am connected to a win/lnx guest though remote-viewer and my remote-viewer is a window with the dimensions 1440x900, so:

When I resize the window from 1440x900 to 1024x768 (manually resize the remote-viewer window, not the screen resolution inside the guest), what is the process involved from the remote-viewer to communicate to the guest (with spice-guest-tools installed) to peform the guest resize ?

Is something like:
a) remote-viewer inform his new resolution sending a message ?
b) the agents capture this message ?
c) the agents set the new resolution inside the client ?

I want to understand how "arbitrary resolution" are possible.
I can't create an arbitrary resolution using the win-api, for example, all I can do is search for the available modes starting the devnode using enumdisplay from win-api. But using remote-viewer I can force a 672x350 resolution for example.

So, why I need this?

I am trying to create a way to grab a window resolution (the windows explorer at 700x500 window resolution, for example) and set the win guest screen resolution to match the same resolution of the explorer. Wrapping the remote-viewer window around the explorer and adapt when is needed.

I am implementing a VDi solution that works like a "terminal service app".

An user wants to use a notepad, for example, then I created a program that resides inside the win guest, that receives the desired app and hides everything else (desktop, taskbar, start menu, blocks win-menu and other keys bindings) and only present the user with notepad. (There's a similar solution for lnx as well in progress)

So far, everything is ok for win/lnx (most of it) guests - the only thing I can't do, is set arbitrary resolutions, specially on windows guests.

So I thought: I have to find a way to grab the notepad resolution (that part is done) and send it to the spice-channel and create the "wrapping effect around notepad".

Thank you all in advance.

PS: sorry about my english - still learning.