Re: Is Sun putting much effort into supporting the gcc/binutils toolchain on sparc64 ?

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Andrew Walrond wrote:

David Miller wrote:

So no, Sun really isn't helping with any actual development.

I don't know what to say. Incredible work David, but quite frankly, I'm
speechless.

I'm sure I can't be the only hardware purchaser asking these questions.
I really like the Niagra and the successors sound even better, but I
can't recommend buying into the platform without solid support for the
OS and toolchain from Sun.

Sun have their own, compiler, though.

I'm trying to conceive a valid business reason for Sun to be so
dismissive of the (surely massive?) gnu/linux hardware market, (even if
they would rather we used Solaris), but it eludes me completely.

Because given the price of their hardware, the only people who can afford it are enterprise customers, and Solaris is a more "enterprisey" solution. If I had to guess, that is...

Gordan
-