Re: Is Sun putting much effort into supporting the gcc/binutils toolchain on sparc64 ?

From: Andrew Walrond <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:37:03 +0100

> I have to make buying decisions, and having tested a Sun T1000 for a
> while I am impressed with Suns hardware. But, we are 100% gnu/linux and
> it disturbs me that David Miller seems to be a (very impressive) team of
> 1 on the sparclinux ML (My impression; perhaps I am wrong?)
>
> So I wonder, is Sun putting any more effort into developing and
> supporting the gcc/binutils toolchain?

They are sending me specs and systems very early these days,
so in that perspective it's been great.

I do also have contacts which I use to report firmware and
hypervisor issues I'd like fixed or clarified, so that's great
too.

I tend to do the processor specific gcc instruction scheduler
and costs entries, and adding the new instruction support to
binutils as well.

So no, Sun really isn't helping with any actual development.
-