Re: merging mono files

> > > Dr. Mark Bugeja wrote:
> > >
> > > If Sox does not preserve loops and cues yet.... then please
> > > add that to the wish list. It would be very handy for several
> > > people doing serious digital sound processing. :-)

Keep in mind, SoX is used by a lot of us for a lot of
different tasks.  The one task you are wanting to us it for
(joint two mono files into a stereo file) is a very tiny piece
of what SoX can do.
> >  Peter wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking about the problem of markers in the file
> > headers when mixing files together, as Dr. Mark is trying to
> > do. What if the markers in the left channel and the right
> > channel are not completely identical? I think this is a more
> > complicated task than just copying input file markers to the
> > output file when mixing.

> Dr. wrote:

> They are *identical*...

In _your_ case, they are identical.  But a SoX effect or
function can't be added just for _your_ case.  At least, not
if it doesn't behave well for other cases.

> ... and most probably created

So what should SoX do if it happens to be something other than
"most probably"?  SoX is good partly because it does work so
predictably even when doing odd or unusual things.
> The separation must have been done after to accommodate
> for Hauptwerk software's special features.

Again - in your case.  There is no guarantee, or even a high
probability,  that other people and other files would be the
same situation.

Something like "preserving loops and cues" has the potential for
being tricky for the reasons Peter wrote.  Then, as Jeremy pointed
out, they may be in a sidecar file and not in the audio file
itself.

Have you tested the stereo file you made using SoX?  Are the
markers intact?  If so, your situation is resolved.  If not -
maybe there is a way to copy the info from one of the mono
files to the stereo file.

But so far, I haven't seen from you what these "loops and
cues" are.  You described how you use them - but is it in the
header?  If so, where?  If not the header, then where is it?
Is it in a sidecar file like Jeremy described?