Re: sox vs libmagic

> > Måns wrote:
> >
> > By extension, features should never be added either.
> > Hell, we should just stop writing software at all.

> Jan wrote:
>
> Again with the false generalizations.

Oh.  Weren't you generalizing when you wrote:
      "How many misnamed or unrecognizable audio files have you
       encountered recently? Zero, that's how many."

> How would that be any different? I don't have anything against
> libmagic itself; but I believe SoX does not need to try to guess
> unrecognized file formats, be it via libmagic or something
> quite-the-same-but-different internally.

> And using libmagic (or any format guessing for that matter)
> _in_SoX_ is not a solution to it. Instead, find out what the
> format really is, maybe using a tool designed for file format
> guessing such as file(1), and fix _that_ first. "Fixing" it
> within SoX is imho a pollution of SoX. That's my point.

Ah.

I disagree with it being a pollution.  I see it as a feature.

I think it is a feature of elegant software to correctly process
human jumbled input.  Why should I have to run "file", or change a
filename, or figure out suitable options for the SoX command if
there is a way SoX could just do it for me?