Re: sox vs libmagic

> > > Jan wrote:
> > >
> > > Would anyone miss the libmagic functionality
> > > if it was removed from SoX?

> > fmiser wrote:
> >
> > I build it with libmagic.  But I don't know how often it uses
> > it.

> Jan wrote:
>
> Almost never, I would think.

It's hard to tell - because it just makes things work right when
otherwise they would fail.

> > Otherwise, it seems to me using a files magic number
> > is good way to deal with missing or wrong extensions.
>
> How many audio files with missing or wrong extensions
> have you processed in the last year?

Probably less than a hundred - but likely more than a couple
dozen.  Without libmagic, the extension is the only information as
to the filetype - right?

I get quite annoyed with applications that solely depend on a
portion of the filename when the _content_ of the file can be used
to determine what the file is.

Why are you so eager to removed from the source if you can just leave it
out when you build?