Re: FW: I-D Action:draft-kaplan-sipping-interop-bcp-01.txt

Hadriel,

I like the concept, though not all the recommendations.

I especially dislike 5.3.1:

Continuing to send RTCP to an old address after that address has been changed to 0.0.0.0 is one of the most terrible ideas I have heard in a long time!!!

IMO, first trying just a=sendonly (or a=inactive) and falling back to 0.0.0.0 is preferable to using both on the first attempt *if there is any value in keeping the old stream*. (That would be the case if there is a resource reservation for it, or you are using rtcp.) If there is *no* benefit to keeping the stream active then using 0.0.0.0 right from the start makes sense. But there can be some intelligence here. Having once learned if the other end supports the directionality attributes, or not, that can inform what is used in future exchanges in the same dialog.

5.6:

I predict this will lead to endless bickering. I know several of these that are in frequent use, though that use is often prorietary and hence won't have value in interop cases.

I think 3840 is used quite a bit in registrations and in Contact URIs, though I am not aware of a lot of usage of 3841. But I think IMS does use 3841. (Perhaps that's not a strong argument for considering it in an interop document.)

	Thanks,
	Paul

Hadriel Kaplan wrote:
Howdy,
I have submitted a rough draft for a BCP for implementers to improve SIP interoperability.

Before you flame me for restricting SIP or having some evil intention against some practice your implementation happens to do, understand that:
a) this is just a first draft (though it's labeled version 01)
b) this is just a strawman, for discussion
c) interop problems are getting worse not better
d) interop problems are bad for us all, because it harms SIP's rep
e) this is a bit of a rushed job, and I haven't proof-read it well due to time constraints (I have a day job, like anyone)
f) I am flame resistant (of the email variety, anyway)

As always, comments/criticism/sarcasm/flames are welcomed.

Have a nice day. :)

-hadriel