Re: I-DAction:draft-loreto-sipping-context-id-requirements-02.txt

[JRE] Most devices support transfer anyway, so it is a case of adding
3PCC support. Yes, that is non-trivial. But also adding support at a
multi-media terminal for interworking with remote users where media are
spread across 2 terminals is also non-trivial, and will multi-media
terminal vendors be motivated to do this?

> > [JRE] I fear that a 2-dialog approach will be a complicated
> mechanism
> > that also requires special support from the remote UA.
> Perhaps when we
> > have explored the solution space further I will be proved right or
> > wrong. However, I would still prefer the requirements to be
> expressed in
> > a form that does not imply a solution with 2 dialogs at the
> remote UA,
> > together with at least a desire to minimise the impact on
> the remote UA.
>
> I agree that the requirements could be phrased better.
> However, when it
> comes to the impact on the remote UA, it is a trade off, as discussed
> above. You can add complexity to your local terminals until
> you remove
> any impact on the remote terminal. As I indicated in my
> original email,
> different scenarios may require different resolutions for that trade
> off. Adding complexity to remove impacts on remote terminals
> may be an
> excellent solution in some deployment scenarios but a poor
> one in others.
[JRE] I don't want to block any work on exploring the solution space for
the general problem, which is for a user participating in a multi-media
session to use different devices for different media. However, I would
like the requirements expressed in a way that does not limit the
solution space unnecessarily.

John