Re: I-DAction:draft-loreto-sipping-context-id-requirements-02.txt

Gonzalo,

[JRE] You can. You effectively do an attended transfer, e.g., send a
REFER/INVITE/Replaces to the remote party, resulting an INVITE/Replaces
to your other device that needs to take over the call. Certainly this
requires support for REFER at the remote side, but generally that is
supported (or a B2BUA will carry out the necessary functionality).

> Regarding what is better, a complicated mechanism that can be
> deployed
> without support from the remote user agent or a simpler
> mechanism that
> requires support from all user agents, it depends on the deployment
> scenario. In scenarios where there are enough incentives for
> parties to
> implement the mechanism, the latter option may be a good choice. Note
> that every time we define a new header field in SIP we are using the
> second option.
[JRE] I fear that a 2-dialog approach will be a complicated mechanism
that also requires special support from the remote UA. Perhaps when we
have explored the solution space further I will be proved right or
wrong. However, I would still prefer the requirements to be expressed in
a form that does not imply a solution with 2 dialogs at the remote UA,
together with at least a desire to minimise the impact on the remote UA.

John