Re: Comments on draft-loreto-sipping-context-id-requirements-00

Hi Paul,

thanks for you answer, as always your comments are food for thoughts.

If 3pcc is an heavy weight mechanism or not could be a long and controversial issue and different people will have
different opinion on it I am sure,
on the other hand I agree with you that correlation will introduce some extra weight as well but not comparable with the one introduced by 3pcc mechanism at least in my opinion.

It is true that "if the 3pcc mechanism is used, only the device that wants to exploit another device to extend its call need implement it. Neither the subordinate device nor the other party need do anything special." but is the 3pcc mechanism largely implemented and used in the existing UA at the present? which probability we have that at least one device, among the ones used by an user, will support it?

I agree that "the burden of the correlation falls on UA that has no need for correlation. This also makes adoption more difficult." but it will depend from how difficult to implement will be the solution that will be able to propose. So here at least we have at least the possibility that if the solution won't be difficult to support, it will be largely adopt.

Having said that, I'd like to check with you what happen if the UAs are behind a NAT and they use ICE to check
connectivity and negotiate candidates.
To be more clear on what I mean,
let consider for example one of the use cases described in the current draft

 2.1.  Using Two Separate UAs to Start a Conversation

Laura is at her office. On her desk, she has a PC with a soft client
       and a desk phone.  The PC has a low-quality built-in microphone and
       is connected to high-quality speakers.

       Laura wants to establish a voice session with Bob using the desk
       phone as the microphone and the soft client as the speaker.

and consider the scenario where all the Alice different UAs are in a network behind a NAT.

Now if we could use a correlation mechanism, each of the Alice UAs will perform,
independently, its ICE negotiation with the BOB UA.

      +-------------+              |
      |  Alice      |              |
      |  UA WebCam  |              |
      |             |              |
      +-------------+              |
             |                     |
             |                     |
             |                     |
       +-------------+      +------\           +-------------+
       | Alice       |      |      |           |             |
       | UA Audio    :::::::| NAT  |:::::::::::.  BOB  UA    |
       |   +3pcc     |      |      |           |             |

On the other hand, if we want to use 3ppc, as showed on the picture above,
for sure the usage of 3pcc make transparent for the Bob UA the fact that Alice is using
separate devices for different media,
but the Alice UA performing the 3pcc has to be involved also in the ICE connectivity check for the other Alice UA (the Alice UA WebCam in the picture) and this fact could complicate somehow the already not easy and light ICE negotiation phase.

thanks
Sal