Re: Security context of shared libraries

On 11/07/2016 03:35 PM, Stephen Smalley wrote:

Moreover, in order not to compromise the functionality of /bin/bar, I
would need to allow bar_t the same access as unconfined_t (at least as a
first approximation). The fact is that, although I can trust /bin/bar,
it is not selinux-aware.

I wouldn't do that; otherwise any security gains you are getting are
illusory since bar is equivalent to unconfined.  It isn't that hard to
define a real confined domain for a program.

I agree that defining a real confined domain for /bin/bar is a better approach. It is not clear to me that any security gains would be illusory: even if /bin/bar (from bar_t) has effectively unconfined access, still /bin/foo (i.e. foo_t) could only access bar_t, and not unconfined_t.

Generally the simplest approach is to define a stub .te file for your
domain, include a permissive declaration for it (permissive bar_t;), and
then derive a policy from the resulting avc:
Thanks for the hint of the stub .te file.
The only issue here is that I would need to find a way to trigger all possible avc's from /bin/bar, which is not straightforward.